18EU BOARD18 game box
Richard Price rich-f9ZlEuEWxVfLvtPRa3sz4w@public.gmane.org [18xx]
2014-09-15 16:08:46 UTC
I have finally been able to create a BOARD18 game box
for 18EU. I was flumoxed for a time because the map
board has the hex grid oriented 90° from the normal.
But Frank Adams-Watters solved this by suggesting that
the map board be rotated 90° in compensation. Thanks
Frank!

We are now starting a PBEM 18EU game using BOARD18
and we could use a forth player. Let me know if you
are interested. *First come first served.*
--
Rich Price
rich-***@public.gmane.org
Author Unknown
Brian Chojnowski chow-NYka0V+i1OkAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org [18xx]
2014-09-15 16:14:01 UTC
I’m in.

rich-***@public.gmane.org<mailto:rich-***@public.gmane.org>
Author Unknown
rich-f9ZlEuEWxVfLvtPRa3sz4w@public.gmane.org [18xx]
2014-09-17 13:44:15 UTC
Since Brian is one of the original 3 players, we could still use a fourth.
I will be starting the game today. If no one opts in, it will be a 3 player game.
JC Lawrence claw-WK5pfKwHs6w@public.gmane.org [18xx]

Author Unknown
Rich rich-f9ZlEuEWxVfLvtPRa3sz4w@public.gmane.org [18xx]
2014-09-16 09:54:48 UTC
To: JCL
What other games have hex grids oriented like 18EU? I know of none.

Sent from my Samsung smartphone on AT&T
John Shelley john.shelley1-1tsiiZ//OF9QFI55V6+gNQ@public.gmane.org [18xx]
2014-09-16 10:12:27 UTC
Post by Rich rich-***@public.gmane.org [18xx]
To: JCL
What other games have hex grids oriented like 18EU? I know of none.
Sent from my Samsung smartphone on AT&T
Not JCL, but I'll offer, in no particular order,

1856 , 1861 , 1865 , 18Mex , 1889 , 1849 , 1858 .
--
Cheers for now,
John from 33820, St Ciers sur Gironde, France

2014-09-16 10:49:42 UTC
Post by Rich rich-***@public.gmane.org [18xx]
To: JCL
What other games have hex grids oriented like 18EU? I know of none.
Not JCL, but I'll offer, in no particular order,
1856 , 1861 , 1865 , 18Mex , 1889 , 1849 , 1858 .
I'm not JCL either, but I'll add 1800, 1812, 1822, 1841, 1860, 1895,
18Africa, 18AL, 18EA (aka 1862), 18GB, 18GL, 18Neb, and 18VA. Plus a small
selection of unpublished titles not in active public playtest. Some of
these are quite widely played.

When designing systems for displaying 18xx maps, you should bear in mind
that while most use simple numeric and alphabetic coordinates for the X and
Y axes, there is little consensus on which way round they should go. Most
maps don't need alphabetic coordinates outside the range A..Z, but when they
do there is little consensus on what they should be. One or two maps leave
out the I coordinate. And while most maps have increasing coordinates
left-to-right and top-to-bottom, that's not universal.

--
Steve Thomas ***@b...

2014-09-16 17:23:13 UTC
To: JCL
What other games have hex grids oriented like 18EU? I know of none.
Not JCL, but I'll offer, in no particular order,
1856 , 1861 , 1865 , 18Mex , 1889 , 1849 , 1858 .
I'm not JCL either, but I'll add 1800, 1812, 1822, 1841, 1860, 1895,
18Africa, 18AL, 18EA (aka 1862), 18GB, 18GL, 18Neb, and 18VA. Plus a small
selection of unpublished titles not in active public playtest. Some of
these are quite widely played.
I am impressed at how thoroughly I've not needed to answer the question. Thanks guys!

-- JCL

2014-09-17 13:40:48 UTC
I too am impressed by the many useful replies.

In answer to JC Lawrence's original question:
"How hard would it be to have BOARD18
support hexes in both orientations?"

It will require considerable rewriting
of the core code for the board18map
page. I have considered this rewrite
previously and then put it on the
back burner. But, my next version,
which I have just started working on,
will, incidentally, be a prerequisite to
to this rewrite. So, in a strange way,
work is already in progress on it.
--
Rich Price