18NY
anthonyecarver-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org [18xx]
2014-09-09 02:40:46 UTC
I was just playing the game and a company ended up without a train but with a coal token. My problem is that they say this one coal token paying 1$/share is enough to keep the company from going back. So this cause me to look through the rules and I could not find if the coal tokens or the $10 tokens are pay as dividends or just to the treasury.
'Beard, Bruce D' bruce_d_beard-dGIoD64L1/Udnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org [18xx]
2014-09-09 11:52:45 UTC
I think you still need a train, Anthony, but I forwarded this to Pierre and will get back to you.

-Bruce

________________________________

2014-09-09 12:39:10 UTC
You don't have a train, your tokens are lost before you operate, you earn nothing and go back.

Sent from my iPad
Post by 'Beard, Bruce D' bruce_d_beard-dGIoD64L1/Udnm+***@public.gmane.org [18xx]
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2014 10:40 PM
2014-09-09 14:52:36 UTC
The town tokens are lost if you have no train, Pete, but the coal tokens are not. Still, I think the coal tokens only add to your run. They are not a run themselves. And you are still obligated to buy a train at the proper phase.

-Bruce

________________________________

Sent: Monday, September 08, 2014 10:40 PM
2014-09-09 17:55:08 UTC
Post by 'Beard, Bruce D' bruce_d_beard-dGIoD64L1/Udnm+***@public.gmane.org [18xx]
The town tokens are lost if you have no train, Pete, but the coal tokens
are not. Still, I think the coal tokens only add to your run. They are
not a run themselves. And you are still obligated to buy a train at the
proper phase.
The current rules say:

7.4 Run Trains

A Company that owns one or more trains now operates them and calculates the
resulting earnings....

After computing the values of each train's route, add all the values
together and then add $10 for each bonus token ([2.10, 2.11]).

I agree it could be clearer, but the implication is that if you have no
trains you don't take the "Run trains" step, which is where the bonuses are
added in.
John A. Tamplin
JC Lawrence claw-WK5pfKwHs6w@public.gmane.org [18xx]
2014-09-09 18:42:48 UTC
I agree it could be clearer, but the implication is that if you have no trains you don't take the "Run trains" step, which is where the bonuses are added in.
I sense a great disappointment in the force...

-- JCL
'Beard, Bruce D' bruce_d_beard-dGIoD64L1/Udnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org [18xx]
2014-09-10 12:00:32 UTC
According to Pierre:

2014-09-10 13:50:57 UTC
Anthony and others,

So, according to Pierre:

1. the COAL would pay out

2. Your stock would probably go back (less than 50% of number)

3. You would still have to buy a train.

-Bruce

Sent: Monday, September 08, 2014 10:40 PM
I was just playing the game and a company ended up without a train but with a coal token. My problem is that they say this one coal token paying 1$/share is enough to keep the company from going back. So this cause me to look through the rules and I could not find if the coal tokens or the $10 tokens are pay as dividends or just to the treasury.

Yahoo Groups Links

2014-09-11 06:14:06 UTC
LOL........if Carver needs a rules clarification, then that rule DEFINITELY needs to be rewritten (but on the positive side, this instance isn't as murky as many of those in '1880'). -TWHJr

Sent: Monday, September 08, 2014 10:40 PM